This week Time Magazine dedicated the cover story to the importance of physical activity. “The Exercise Cure” detailed the many benefits of regular physical activity, highlighting the idea that exercise is medicine.
TIME health reporters outline 7 Surprising Benefits of Exercise. Be sure to check out the full issue on newsstands, or with your TIME subscription.
Access to the article summary here.
Employee wellness programs have become a staple in many corporations as a way to attract top talent, keep them happy and productive, and decrease employee turnover. The key to having a successful corporate wellness program is by encouraging overall wellbeing while still keeping it fun.
We share with you the Snack Nation’s 121 Employee Wellness Program Ideas, as a good document to read.
Today RunnerSquare has launched a new service called RaceLiveTrack. This is a Real Time Sport Event tracking system that allows to follow athletes in Real Time during a running or cycling race.
The service is free both for athletes and for race organizers and is available through RaceLiveTrack website.
The service aims to increase participation of athlete’s relatives and friends into races by providing a Real Time Athlete Tracking during all the race, not only giving split times on specific checking points.
RaceLiveTrack is very easy to use, and only two steps are requiered:
- Sign Up or login (with the same credentials as RunnerSquare member) at RaceLiveTrack to activate your next race.
- Use RunnerSquare app during the race, available on iOS and Android app markets.
New races are included weekly and as the service is new, there still many to be included. If you want your next race to be included, you can write to email@example.com suggesting to include it.
We are proud to announce that Alfredo Corralero finishes 3.600 Kilometers (2.237 miles) running around Spain during 2 month, achieving the “3600 Kilometros Solidarios” Challenge.
He started on 1th June from Tarifa, Andalucia, and finished last 30th July at Cap de Creus, Catalonia.
*Press the map to see the route details.
RunnerSquare has been one of the companies supporting this Challenge and from here we want to send congratulations to Alfredo, his family and all the people that has been supporting them during this amazing run.
This Challenge is linked to a cause to build a small Helathcare Center in Guinea Bissau. You still can donate here.
We want to share with you some Facts & Statistics about Physical Activity in US published by President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition.
- Only one in three children are physically active every day.
- Less than 5% of adults participate in 30 minutes of physical activity each day; only one in three adults receive the recommended amount of physical activity each week.
- Only 35 – 44% of adults 75 years or older are physically active, and 28-34% of adults ages 65-74 are physically active.
- More than 80% of adults do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities, and more than 80% of adolescents do not do enough aerobic physical activity to meet the guidelines for youth.
- In 2013, research found adults in the following states to be most likely to report exercising 3 or more days a week for at least 30 minutes: Vermont (65.3%), Hawaii (62.2%), Montana (60.1%), Alaska (60.1%). The least likely were Delaware (46.5%), West Virginia (47.1%) and Alabama (47.5%). The national average for regular exercise is 51.6%.
- Children now spend more than seven and a half hours a day in front of a screen (e.g., TV, videogames, computer).
- Nationwide, 25.6% of persons with a disability reported being physically inactive during a usual week, compared to 12.8% of those without a disability.
- Only about one in five homes have parks within a half-mile, and about the same number have a fitness or recreation center within that distance.
- Only 6 states (Illinois, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New York and Vermont) require physical education in every grade, K-12.
28.0% of Americans, or 80.2 million people, aged six and older are physically inactive.
- Nearly one-third of high school students play video or computer games for 3 or more hours on an average school day.
We created RunnerSquare to help you have a healthier life through Physical Activity. We think it is the baseline for a healthier lifestyle.
On other hand, we think workplaces should have a year Corporate Wellness Program, as work time is a long period of time with a high impact on health due to inactivity of employees. That’s why we have developed the most advanced and fully customizable technology for launching and managing Corporate Wellness Programs.
As a RunnerSquare member, from now on if you are using other Fitness Apps, Wearables or Watches you can set up automatic connection with them. It means that once you set up the connection, your activity fitness data will be imported directly to your RunnerSquare profile automatically. We check out 3 times a day if you have performed any new activity. When found a new activity, the system automatically will import your workout data to your RunnerSquare profile.
RunnerSquare is an open digital platform where members can use their preferred measuring device or app. We like ourselves to be defined as the “Switzerland” of physical activity tracking data repository, as we do not belong to any commercial brand nor have specific branded interest as the major fitness Apps, Wearables and Watches have today in the market (as most of them belong to big commercial fitness or sport brands).
You may use RunnerSquare iOS or Android app, but in case you want to use other activity tracking device, you can set up the Automatic Connect feature following below steps:
Important: Automatic Connect feature is only available on the website version
- Go to https://www.runnersquare.com and Sign In
- Press Side Menu Bar icon and click on Settings
- At the new Menú Bar displayed, select Connect option
- Choose your preferred fitness tracking App, Wearable or Watch by pressing the Connect or +Info button and follow the instructions.Once you are connected, we will be updating your profile daily with your latest activities automatically.
Today RunnerSuare CEO, Santi Torres, attended to official presentation of “3600 Kms Solidarios” Charity Challenge leaded by Ivan Mañero Foundation.
RunnerSquare is collaborating with this cause and has developed the digital tracking platform to follow Alfredo Corralero, the runner that from 1st May will run 3600 Kms all around Spain.
You can follow Alfredo through the 3600 Kms Solidarios RunnerSquare’s customized site.
Here is the route Alfredo is going to run begining on 1st May 2016.
Below you can see our CEO, Santi Torres, presenting the site of the challenge.
Our friends of Ivan Mañero Foundation, leaded by Ruth Mañero, presenting this nice cause.
We think Running is really a lifestyle, full of great unique moments.
Combination of Running & Photography take you to save those unique moments for ever, and also allow you to share those moments with others.
Below is a sample of a few photos from RunnerSquare Community. We invite you to Run with us and publish your photos.
We have improved the Workout edition feature that allow you to change or add details about it.
To go to Workout edition screen follow next steps:
- Click on Workouts option, at the top menu bar
- Select My workouts
- Select from the bottom of your workout dashboard, the workout you want to edit
- At the workout detail screen, click on the Edit icon you will see
A Pop Up screen will appear. From there you will be able to change or add the following workout information:
Date, Country & Location, description, make it private/public and change/add a photo.
This month we challenge you to do a Virtual Triathlon (full Ironman distance equivalent).
It is very simple to say, but not so easy to do. Are you ready for…?
Swim 3.800 meters (4,155 yards) | Join here
Ride 180 km (112 miles) | Join here
Run a Marathon (42 Km | 26 miles) | Join here
For those who don’t like too much exercise, you can join to our Walking Challenge and walk 30 Km (18,6 miles) in May.